Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Friday, December 19, 2014

The Bucket List

Our mortality has a way of slapping us in the face sometimes. Cancer will do that to people. It causes people to realize they have a lot left to do. I have a few things on my list I have always wanted to do but never had the time, money, or the guts to try. Here's my list, in no particular order:

1: Ballroom dancing - ok really I would like to try any kind of dancing. Well not ballet, as I would be an insult to the art. But Ballroom, hip hop, Jazz, Tap…all of those. I want to try something.

2. Skydiving. Actually Angela and I want to do it together but I think I'm too afraid to do it.

3. Ziplining. I want to go to some tropical place and ride a zip line through the jungle. As long as there are no snakes I'll be fine.

4. Visit Australia. I need to make this happen soon so I can see my friend K. We have known one another for about 10 years through the Down syndrome community. A few years ago K. was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. They day she told me I wanted to jump on a plane right then. Somehow I need to make this happen.

5. Honeymoon. Dean and I still need to go on our honeymoon. Maybe we'll do that in Australia?

6. Be on a talk show. Seriously. Ok, not likely to happen but when it does hopefully its not Jerry Springer or Maury Povich.

7. Learn to sculpt with clay. I want to do it for real and make  nice stuff. I just need to learn HOW.

8. Tae Kwon Do. Yep, I want to do that too. If I do ballroom dancing and TWD at the same time, I should get into pretty good shape, right?

9.

10.

Ok, thats all I can think of at the moment. I know the others will come to me as they frequently do during the day! How about you? Whats on your bucket list?

4 comments:

Tigger (aka Karyn) said...

I really like number 4!! I would love to see you. :-)

Dianna said...

Disability Viewpoints may be a good idea for a talk show.

Unknown said...

This year I went to sixth grade camp with my son. For some reason when the teacher said would you like to do the high ropes and zipline down, I said yes. It was terrifying. I wasn't afraid of falling. I was afraid of getting broken and having to be rescued. By the time I got to the end I had nothing left. nothing. But the only way down was to zipline down. Zipline down by sitting down and then dropping off the platform holding onto the ropes with the arms that were no longer working. I think that the guy was going to push me off at one point. Finally I closed my eyes and took the plunge. It turned out to be super easy. Who would have known? In any case it was the bravest thing I've done. I'm very glad that I did it. But I won't do it again. BTW - I'm about 100 pounds overweight, so this was all pretty amazing.

eliz said...

I honestly don't have a bucket list. I was a code blue at the hospital 4 years ago after they removed over half of my colon.(I am hanging to what I have left by my teeth, before they take the rest out) I also have a life threatening chronic neurologic disorder. None of that is cancer. But I've been close enough to death to think about this. No list. Often my prayer is just to complete my current project or live long enough to see my youngest turn 18 in 11 years. :o)
(((HUGS)))
Merry Christmas!