Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Do it

If you are a woman, please please please watch this video. (it is not for kids)



Now do it. Every day. Touch yourself. Know your breasts so when there is a change you will recognize it. Don't skip your mammograms. Do you know if I had skipped this mammogram, my journey would have been very different? It could have killed me.

Since my diagnosis several friends have told me they've had mammos done, one that came back with a mass and is waiting her biopsy results.  Two other friends had genetic testing done and one found she carries the BRCA1 gene. Some friends have decided to put it off even longer. This was the exact purpose of sharing my journey. So that others can help themselves. I have given a lot of details because that is what I wanted to find when I was freaking out digging for info. I have so many friends who have said, "I haven't had a mammogram in two years, but I don't have any risk factors, so I'm ok." No! No you are NOT! I have ZERO risk factors. Cancer doesn't discriminate. It doesn't care how old you are, how many kids you have, or if you're a nobel prize winner. Cancer doesn't care.



No comments: