Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Resistant to Change and tattling

This morning I moved our dining room table. It's in the same place, I just turned it the way it usually is to allow more walking space. While I was moving it, Axel was watching me while eating his breakfast at the kitchen table. About an hour later his home-bound teacher came and they spent two hours doing his school work at the table I'd just moved.

Axel is often pretty quiet with me during the day. He chatters away for his speech therapist, OT and for his homebound teacher. But with me, he usually only talks when he wants something from me.

Papa came home at 5:00, and as usual Axel went running for the door, chattering away, and signing "table...table" over and over again. We didn't know what he was talking about except that Dean had just set his computer bag on the kitchen table. Whatever it was, it was VERY important, because "table" was signed with MUCH jabbering and voice inflection. It sounded something like this, "Bydheafe shtveget sheuggqwrtvb djvikesyev.... Kay?"

Then Axel went to the dining room table, pulled all the chairs out, and tried to move the table back to where it had been before I moved it.

He was tattling on me.

In Axel's way he was saying, "Papa! Mama moved the dining room table and that's not ok! I'm moving it BACK where it's supposed to be!"

So now we know. Axel doesn't like change.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

Love it!! Isn't it great to know that even when it's difficult, we humans figure out a way to communicate ... :-)

Anonymous said...

Put it back they way he likes it...KAY?

Marianne said...

That is too funny! Did you get in trouble? ;-)

Difference2This1 said...

That's pretty funny!

Blessings, Jennifer