Blogging about life in Minnesota, raising our six kids with Down syndrome while battling Breast Cancer.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the devil says, "Oh shit! She's up!"

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Look Who's Back!

There are lots of families returning to the area this year. Some of them reside in my back yard. The squirrel family lives right outside my kitchen window. The first brood of babies appeared out of the nest while I was in Serbia earlier this month, so I missed them. Ummm.. it looks like there will be more babies for me to see in a few weeks. 



And, my hummingbirds are back!!! I'm still trying to follow this bird to the nest. I know it's around somewhere, because the favorite perch is never very far away. He lands here about every 5 minutes throughout the day. I took these through the living room window so they're not very clear. Looks like I'm going to need to hang out on the porch roof this summer. Funny, right after he left from the photo shoot, he went to buzz the squirrels pictured above. They must be close to the nest!
Female RubyThroated hummingbird building her nest about 30 feet from the living room window.


2 1/2 inch humming bird nest about 30 feet from the house.
I have the feeders out now, and plants to attract the birds as well. I saw an Oriole the other day so maybe I'll be seeing more of them too. And, I just ordered some more feeders today because the humming birds don't really like to share, and last year I had 3 or 4 pairs!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I've been following your blog for a few months now. I love reading about Axel and seeing him blossom in your love and care. I also like that you can be such an awesome mom and advocate, and still take the time to appreciate the critters in your yard, and so it's this post that finally brings me out of lurkdom.

Looking at your series of hummingbird photos, I think that is the nest right there, and she is building it. It starts out as a barely perceptible lump of "stuff" on the branch, and, as I'm sure you're aware, doesn't get too much bigger! I was lucky enough to find a hummingbird nest in my front yard earlier this month, and I have been documenting it on my blog as well. It will be fun to follow yours, too. Take care.

Lund7 said...

Welcome back! Let me know if you want visitors next week as Ricky would love to stop by and see his buddy!